One year ago when you elected our Action Team slate we promised you an exciting and productive year. And in the last 12 months we’ve delivered:
• A fabulous club fundraiser headlining author Robert Scheer, and County Chair Eric Bauman, and a line-up of political luminaries including State
Controller Betty Yee and many more.
• A fundraiser for the Sen.Ted Lieu who subsequently became our U.S. Congressman, the outstanding Ted Lieu who represents our 33rd District Congressman.
• Malibu’s first public information session on the slow-growth Measure R, which thereafter passed by an overwhelming 60 percent!
• A visit by newly elected County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl to our February Annual meeting in which she answered questions about development of the hills above the city, and provided an inside view of the inner workings of County government.
• An overhaul of our club’s dated bylaws. They now are designed to give you — our members — more of a say in club activities and endorsements.
• The Second Saturday Series, a calendar of topical monthly meetings.
Last month Veteran state legislator and born activist Tom Hayden inspired members, suggesting how to take local action to combat greenhouse gases. Coming up this coming Saturday (May 9 – see attached flyer) will be “Our Dangerous Diablo,” in which top national nuclear energy leaders will tell us about federal violations at our ailing, neighboring plant (May 9). In June, there will be a panel discussion on experts on “Earth, Weather and Fire.” And in July we’ll hear from State Sen. Fran Pavley about a range of state issues that are particularly important here in Malibu. Coming up late in summer we’re planning a fundraiser for Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris, whom we endorsed in her race for U.S. Senate and in early fall we’ll have another fabulous fundraising party at the home of our fave philanthropist Dr. A.J. Marwah. Momentum is building.
Newspapers are writing about us and other clubs are talking about us. Pretty cool, right?
Is all that worth $30 in annual dues? We hope so. Please visit the “Join the Club” link in the scroll bar and renew your membership for this year. And keep in mind that in order to vote on endorsements your membership sign-up date must be at least a month before you vote.
So do it now while it’s on your mind! One other thing: according to brand new state party rules (explained below) the number of delegates allotted each club is tied to its number paid members. So it’s important to get as many paid members as possible. If you haven’t signed up officially since January 1, we still love you and you’ll stay on our list for a while, but technically you’re not a member anymore. So, please take a second, while you’re still at your computer.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for our general meeting on the Second Saturday of each month. We’re grabbing headlines. Other clubs are talking about us. And we’ve got lots more ideas. There is so much MORE to do! Come join us and help make a difference in Malibu and beyond!
Toward a thriving democracy,