Hi Malibu Democratic Club Members!
We had our first board meeting on Thursday, June 5. There’s lots to tell you and it’s very exciting.
We’re growing! We welcomed five new board members: Sam Hall Kaplan, Jennifer de Nicola, Marcia Hanscom, Jim Hensley, and Doug Rosen! So, it’s a good time to remind you that this is your club! And to ask, “What would you like to see us do?” The possibilities are endless.
In just one initial meeting our board already has accomplished so much! So far, we’ve:
• Set up three new committees: Membership, Fundraising, and Programs. We need help so please hit “reply” and tell us if you’d like to join one. Or, propose a new committee to address an issue you care about deeply. The only proviso is that in some way it must help elect Democrats to office.(Note that during upcoming months the Programs Committee might add subcommittees that could include Farmers’ Market, Chili Cook-off, Phone Banking, Living Room Lectures, and special events or dinners featuring elected officials or other well-known Democrats. )
Other committees may include Youth Outreach (which could include working with elected representatives to set up internships, liaison work with campus Democratic clubs, and finding ways to involve high school and college students in community outreach projects); Newsletters, Brochures, and Media Affairs; Legislative Affairs and Club Policies; Elections and Endorsement Procedures, or we could even set up a Malibu Democratic Singles Committee!
• Discussed a late summer/early fall event which could feature a Meet the Candidates night. Interested?
• Started work on a mission statement! And the Bylaws Committee — headed by DemClub Vice President Ted Vaill — will propose revisions and enhancements to provide us with clearer direction.
• Set up standing dates for our board meetings. Fourt Monday of each month UNLESS there is a major conflict. You’re always welcome to attend. The next one will be Monday, June 30 and this will be updated when a location is confirmed.
• Set up a Finance Committee to be chaired by Political Consultant Doug Rosen. The Finance Committee will be crafting a budget to establish a financial map for our yearly programs and goals.
We’re also interested in determining which local issues to support. And which issues — including state Democratic policies — could be a basis for activities, events, and letter writing campaigns. Anti-fracking? Offshore oil drilling? Minimum wage? The right to choice?
This year should be packed with opportunities for action. So, recruit your friends. Take part and help!
New membership checks in the amount of $25 may be sent to Malibu Democratic Club, P.O. Box 561, Malibu, CA 90265.
Hope to see you soon!